View Single Post
Old 09-20-21, 06:07 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Only alcohol stoves get banned, never liquid gas. We use an Optimus now, since one can't get parts for a Svea 123 anymore. The Optimus is very nice. To fly, we run the stove through someone's dishwasher and fill the fuel bottle with vinegar and label it "VINEGAR." So far so good. That's another problem with the Svea - the internal wick.
I agree that I wouldn't fly with my SVEA, but I have had no trouble finding parts. I bought a rebuild kit recently just to have it on hand. I looked at what was available at the time and it looked like I could get any of the parts I was likely to need. A friend repaired an old one that was missing some parts. He said he didn't have any trouble finding new parts online. Worst case people are parting out old stoves that are really badly trashed.

Also they are selling the Optimus SVEA as a new stove. It looks like the same old 123, but I haven't seen one up close and in person.

Edited to add... I am pretty sure that all stoves are sometimes banned in places and at times especially in Southern California. I know that there are times when they require a fire permit for gas stoves.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-20-21 at 06:16 PM.