Old 05-03-22, 10:22 AM
HM70

Bikes: Bertoni SLX (Daccordi)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Global Transient Amnesia after morning bike ride

So after my 43 mile morning solo ride Saturday I relaxed, slept a little and then watched TV. When my wife came home that afternoon I was a little confused because I couldn't remember the ride. I only knew that that the route and time were on my Garmin app. Her friend said memory loss is an indication of stroke so off to Kaiser ER we went.
No waiting around there when a 72 year old comes in with those symptoms. They did a CT scan, followed by MRI and then Ultrasound of my carotid artery and admitted me for overnight observation. Not having any family history of heart trouble and cholesterol levels that make my doctor green with envy I wasn't surprised that they found nothing wrong with me. The diagnosis by elimination "GTA" global Transient Amnesia caused by physical exertion. They had a handout on the condition which reassuredly stated a reoccurrence is unlikely.
I suspect causal factors were poor hydration and a two week layoff during family vacation. None the less that ride remains a total blank and I can't wait to repeat it this Saturday with a lot of selfies enroute!
Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.