balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by JMB_Bikes
I'm about to work on one of these M700 SP that I'm trying to get working a little better. Reviving this thread to ask about the "guide pulley axle" that's referred to in the Shimano service instructions. It says "be sure not to turn the guide pulley axle, lest it should get out of order" (!) [emphasis mine]. Wondering what that means and why? I may have inadvertantly moved it when I first acquired this derailleur and did a deep cleaning without these intsructions or a parts diagram. I recall taking the guide pulley off and removing a lot of caked on grease and dirt. I never looked under the actual Super Plate cover as I was afraid to take it apart. So I'm concerned maybe this axle or the small cable linkage isn't intact. Any advice on how to check this? From the exploded view and your pictures it appears I would have to take apart and unload the cage pivot spring to get at it...don't want to open up a can of worms with that spring unloading. If you have any guidance I most appreciate it! This is for one of my Miyata tourers (I have an '85 Six ten and an '87 615, I hear you're a fan T-Mar !).
The axle upon which the upper pulley rides is affixed to the "super plate" which is threaed and ther is a lock nut underneath the cover, on the opposite side of where the pulley is located. If you loosen the axle, you will have to take the cover off and re-set the lock nut. That operation will require you to remove the upper pivot bolt to re-set the seals that set against the plate.