Old 03-12-21, 03:12 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
McBTC I am not a doctor, but I would be surprised if this were arthritis. The location (to my uninformed mind) is not in the right place. The pain is next to iliotibial band (slightly to the rear of it) way on the outside of the hip.

My biggest fear is that it will be some back related issue that is a tough diagnosis and/or treatment with risks and/or unpredictable outcomes. Arthritis really doesn't scare me as I seem to be afflicted with that in multiple places and would be surprised if the hip were an exception here - just a matter of degree.

If you were to kind of list the 'working joints' in order of pain that they give me on a daily basis (knees, ankles, hips, shoulder, and back), hips and back are last on the list (until 12 or so days ago).

dave
That's good Dave - if it's to the outside as opposed to the inside there's so many other and probably more likely causes than arthritis... just googling which is always dangerous but...

"Two of the most common causes of lower back pain in older adults include osteoarthritis and spinal stenosis. Degeneration of joints in the lumbar spine is a common cause of back pain in older adults."

Do you ride a road bike? If so, hopefully a less aggressive position may ease and perhaps eliminate the lower back pain. And if so, perhaps a stem extension would help solve the back issue...

Last edited by McBTC; 03-12-21 at 03:18 PM.