View Single Post
Old 04-26-23, 04:26 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin
I don't agree that a camera is just a tool. I don't think that it's advisable for an artist to be preoccupied with tools or equipment, but the difference between film and sensors is like the difference between oil and watercolor. It's not that one is better than the other, but if you enjoy expressing yourself in watercolor, then why work in oil? Moreover, if the result you're looking for is what watercolor delivers, why try to make your oil painting look like a watercolor? It's true that film and digital call for different tools just like oil and water, but the medium is more than just tools or equipment, it's also a different process, workflow, and very different results.

So when I see a digital camera being used to produce a lot of good images with film emulation modes and post-processed to have film effects, I wonder if that is the result that is desired, why not use film to get it? Now someone might say that a 135 camera and its lenses are just too big to travel with or that they don't like to be limited to a single ISO for a whole roll or they don't like what the lab does and they're not willing to do C41 at home. There are plenty of other reasons to use digital, but if someone is going to enjoy film, I will encourage them to do it.
Guess we'll just have to disagree then.
The one thing that I always did notice when carrying a digital camera, is that before when I was shooting b+w, I was looking at the world in b+w. The times that I had to do jobs for clients in the film days and they wanted me to shoot both colour and b+w, it was a royal pain in the arse, specifically for reportage type jobs, and it invariably ended up with not being happy with either. But getting back to digital--partly because the digi bodies were bigger etc, I really did notice that I couldnt think only in b+w with a digital body, and still used to shoot b+w film to a certain extent, but then frankly, I got caught up in family and life in general and stuff, and just stopped with b+w.
and on top of it, I knew and know that I'm just an okay photographer, and so was less obsessed with it than before, so had fun on my bicycle trips using a pt and shoot, film or digital, all the while accepting that these cameras would never be like shooting with a small film camera---plus also, I just didnt have the money to buy the nicer, smaller digi bodies and systems, so just lived and live with moderately priced, moderately performing digital pt and shoot type camera.
I'd love to have a really nice mirrorless small camera with just a couple of small lenses--using one or two or three fixed lenses was always my preference , but I simply can't afford the nice stuff, so c'est la vie, like I said, I know I'm just so so, and thats ok.
But I do have fun on my bike trips, and don't worry about my camera that much, which is nice from a theft / worst case scenario thing, and also from just being free and not being too concerned about stuff.
The one thing that I miss is really fast focusing or being able to prefocus stuff and just lift the camera and shoot with no delay, but again, these are the compromises of a pt and shoot.
I never carried slr bodies biking, and still have no urge vis a vis the weight, the space, the cost......

and the whole watercolour vs oil paint idea.....naw, don't agree with that either , but hey, who cares, do what you want.
When I see young people who shoot film cuz its cool, in the end, its just cuz its "old school" and the results are kinda just so so.
And developing C-41 at home, it aint and never was worth it. The temps are way more critical that b+w chemicals, you have to be on top of the freshness like crazy, same with E-6. Leave it to a lab that keeps track of everything and runs through a crapload of chemicals to keep them fresh. It really is just a process, doesnt add anything to your work developing your own film.
B+W however is a whole diff kettle of fish, but remember, I did this for decades professionally, so its like cooking, if you have the knack and ability, being attentive from shooting, to developing film to printing is a holistic all togetherness, but if you just did it a bit, theres no way you are going to be really good at it.

but hey, I'm just rattling on, spewing crap.
have fun shooting whatever you use, and have more fun on your bike adventures.
I wouldnt recommend taking the 8x10 and glass plates though.....

oh, and while most of the time I used slr, I have used Leica M bodies, and they have their place and had some advantages over slr bodies, for me mostly because they were small.
but yes, even back in the day, a lot of leica dudes were snobs, but thats because a lot of them were doctors and stuff, always has been and always will be. "I want to have the "best" camera" , sort of folks.
Likes For djb: