View Single Post
Old 04-16-24, 03:03 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Perhaps some day I'll understand why people go to a medical professional, someone with 5-12 years of specialized training, for medical care. Then when they get home, they get online and splash, "Why don't I want to do what the doctor ordered?" all over the internet, rather than ask the doctor, "What are the potential side effects?" or "What alternative treatment(s) is (are) available?" There are plenty of authoritative lists of side effects for every drug available on line, or some very informative (if densely written, in small print) Patient Package Inserts that my pharmacist gives me with every prescription.

Perhaps some day. Or maybe not.
I went to a specialized physician for more than 10 years. He was actually the only one in the field less than a 3-hour drive from my rural home one way. I saw him every 3 months. What did I know about healthcare. I trusted this professional. His treatment was prescription drugs and injections. Doctors don't really talk to you about alternative forms of treatment because of a thing called "standard of care" and their liability involved in anything outside what would be considered the normal range of expected care.

I agree with you about taking responsibility and initiative towards your own health care. That was just my personal experience, and I didn't get any better until I started researching all possibilities.