Old 08-25-12, 05:04 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by maximumrob
I don't know how fast you want to ride, but towing anything is harder than just putting a suitcase on top of a heavy duty rack.

I'm sure the Burley unit rolls easily enough, but the wind resistance will wear on you a bit.
I respectfully disagree with the above statements. Putting a suit case on a heavy duty rack makes the bike top end heavy, which makes the bike harder to handle and unsteady. A trailer is a better choice, which you probably know already since you asked about a trailer.

I have a Burley Travoy and the idea of wind resistance never crossed my mind. Theoretically I guess it is there but just never noticed it. Pulling the Travoy never wears me out and I pack it quite full. In fact of all the trailers I have ever had this is the best designed, easiest one to pull. The versatility is great. I just purchased a Brompton but have yet to pull the Travoy but I am sure it will be fine.

Sorry I can't offer anything on an alternative as I really don't know. Though there are features that really make this trailer work well. For instance I actually flipped the trailer last week while riding. I had it packed really weird with weight not centered, coming off a curb, down a hill, around a corner way too fast for the conditions and terrain and the trailer flipped over and my bike stayed upright which was amazing in of itself. More amazingly the hinge didn't break. I was able to stop flip the trailer over and keep riding (much slower this time). This was 100% human error.

The point is the hinge is designed for this flexibility and maybe some other design would have not had this. Other features I really like is how small it folds and how the wheels are removable. It really is a great trailer but I do agree costs quite a bit.

Hopefully you will find a solution to your problem.