Old 08-25-12, 09:06 AM
trrubicon06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I respectfully disagree with the above statements. Putting a suit case on a heavy duty rack makes the bike top end heavy, which makes the bike harder to handle and unsteady. A trailer is a better choice, which you probably know already since you asked about a trailer.

I have a Burley Travoy and the idea of wind resistance never crossed my mind. Theoretically I guess it is there but just never noticed it. Pulling the Travoy never wears me out and I pack it quite full. In fact of all the trailers I have ever had this is the best designed, easiest one to pull. The versatility is great. I just purchased a Brompton but have yet to pull the Travoy but I am sure it will be fine.

Sorry I can't offer anything on an alternative as I really don't know. Though there are features that really make this trailer work well. For instance I actually flipped the trailer last week while riding. I had it packed really weird with weight not centered, coming off a curb, down a hill, around a corner way too fast for the conditions and terrain and the trailer flipped over and my bike stayed upright which was amazing in of itself. More amazingly the hinge didn't break. I was able to stop flip the trailer over and keep riding (much slower this time). This was 100% human error.

The point is the hinge is designed for this flexibility and maybe some other design would have not had this. Other features I really like is how small it folds and how the wheels are removable. It really is a great trailer but I do agree costs quite a bit.

Hopefully you will find a solution to your problem.
Thank you...that was a bit more informative and helpful, lol.

I actually have design I working on should work pretty good for my purpose. It's based around a folding handtruck that I already own. I've found 12-1/2" wheels and tires and plan on using the Burley hitch components for attaching. Axles are my only concern at the moment. I'd like then quick release, but not sure the best method.