View Single Post
Old 01-13-16, 07:31 PM
Mr.Peloton

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata, and a 2014 Cannondale Synapse (for sale)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Raleigh
You're talking about 3 different types here
Campagnolo friction shifters are from an earlier period - not sure of the cut off but probably late 70s early 80s (someone here will verify)
After friction shifters Campagnolo got on board and produced down tube indexed shifters.
Then in the early 90s they produced the ergo integrated brake and gear units that we know of today.

I built my first real racing bike as a teenager the same way you're contemplating as it was too expensive to buy the bike I wanted outright. Learnt a lot along the way.
Since I am young, I did not know there was a difference, but I meant down tube shifters.

I have looked a lot on ebay and found a Campagnolo Chorus groupset for $700, it has down tube shifters. I also found a Campagnolo Shamal wheelset that has an 8 speed cassette (maybe) for $538. I also found a NOS Viner frame for $650 obo. I don't know if these components are worth that though, if they aren't should I wait until some come that are more reasonable?

But I am not doing this because the bike I want is too expensive, I am doing this so I can build a bike from a frame and get to learn how to put everything together. This bike is going to be basically a bike I will cherish and hold on for many years, which is why I am putting a lot money into it, so I won't have to buy the parts years down the road when they are even harder to find and way more expensive.

Last edited by Mr.Peloton; 01-13-16 at 07:35 PM.