Thread: Helmet - Impact
View Single Post
Old 11-21-19, 01:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Understanding one basic, core concept of how bike helmets protect us bypasses several mistakes that we hear repeated often. Fortunately it's very simple to grasp and I'll only address this one concept.

The helmet reduces the forces felt by our skull by stretching out the time of the impact. It takes a certain amount of time to crush the foam, depending on how fast the helmet is going, and how massive your head is of course. Simple as that, and that's all of it.

It does not "spread out the force" very much. It does not "dissipate energy". Energy is absorbed by crushing. And it's basically linear in the crush range - ie, twice as thick gives you twice as much protection. No amount of shaping and mysterious designs change that.

Check it yourself: hit a styrofoam sheet with a hammer and look at the damage. There will be a dent where the hammer hit, and maybe just a little slope in the surface closely surrounding the round hole. You can see that there is little if any "spreading out" of the force, because there would be visible damage if there were. Now crack it in half at an undamaged section, push the edges together and hit it with a hammer again right on the crack. You'll see the same damage as before, some on each half. As long as the crack is held together, it does not harm the impact protection. Surface (UV) damage of a mm thick or less is insignificant, because the only affect is reducing the crush by a mm.

That's all, valid corrections are welcome.
Is the mechanism the same for gel helmets? Having absolutely no technical knowledge, I would have assumed that a gel would act more as a fluid, with the shockwave of the impact spreading out like a ripple around the helmet instead of inward towards the brain.

You also don't mention rotational forces, which are explicitly redirected per the claims of the manufacturers. MIPS actually allows the helmet to rotate around the head, correct? That's redirecting the rotational forces that otherwise would be transmitted to your head. I know that WaveCel is also supposed to redirect those rotational forces, but I'm unclear on the supposed mechanism. I'm guessing it's the helmet riding on the ripples, but that's an uneducated guess at best. I have a MIPS helmet, the mechanism for rotational redirection is obvious when you see it.