Old 02-28-24, 01:38 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Kinda seems like overkill to me to put the Silca chain stripper in the ultrasonic.
Overkill is my middle name. I needn't have worried about being to tell, the chains went in a bit tacky and came out squeaky clean and almost "rattly" so I figure the factory lube is gone form the inside bits too.

Originally Posted by nlerner
I put it the chain in a small plastic container that frozen yogurt comes in, cover with the chain stripper, agitate for a minute and leave for five minutes per Slica's instructions, then rinse with water, hang to dry for a bit, then immerse in hot wax and watch all of the air bubbles fight their way to the surface as I stir. Leave it for 10 min or so, remove and hang on a hook to dry.
I should have read carefully! I missed the water rinse; I normally avoid keeping water away from bike chains and, for that matter, any part of the bikes (PNW readers can insert laughter here). Well, done now, and hanging to dry the water. Meanwhile made more coat-hanger-wire hangers so I can do three chains on one heating of the wax.