Old 06-24-22, 01:24 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Heh. Flatlanders - and I include myself in this, obv - shouldn't try to set the pace up hills with locals. I think that we have a tendency to judge effort by the proxy of speed, rather than actual effort, so pacing is uphill is often borked by going well above threshold and then dipping under threshold, sometimes severely, if the hill is long enough. If I'm going to set the pace uphill, it's gotta be a hill that I know and I'm going to watch my power pretty closely. And surging to smooth the pace? Yeah, that doesn't often work too well

Ive gotten so much stronger since the last time you were here. I would maintain about 24 going down the hill, and then going back up the hill I would maintain that speed all the way up. I got tired of having to slam my brakes as soon as the elevation started to change in an upwards direction. The group would instantly slow down. When I did maintain my speed, pulling up the hill I just dropped them.

But even in the flat areas the speed kept changing. Varied from 15-23. Just different from what I am used to. At one point I was told to pull and the stronger of the riders told me to punch it. I dialed it up and was pulling for a couple of miles at 26 mph. They did pretty good, only started to lose them in the last half mile or so.