Old 08-25-22, 02:47 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Thanks for the recs on the Varia, may be something I need to seriously consider, especially with integrated camera. I guess my thing is... as others have expressed, I'm never surprised by a car passing me, I always hear them approaching, and the radar seems to merely back that up. Given that it can't predict a last second swerve or a dangerously close approach path, is there any real advantage to it versus just being attentive? I can't glance back at every car to make sure they're not headed directly for my rear tire.

I felt the same way, I didn’t think I needed one. My aunt gave me some money for my Birthday last year, and I bought one. I hate riding without it now. June and July I did a lot of cycling in Charlotte, and I didn’t have any of my gear with me, Varia included. I hated it. Felt naked.

The varia just eases my mind, it’s nice knowing when cars are coming, especially on some of the back roads between Richmond and Willyburg.

One last thing, crashing my brand new madone last october was a direct result of not having a varia. I heard a car coming and looked over my shoulder, ran into the work stand a couple seconds later. If I had the varia my eyes would have stayed straight ahead.