View Single Post
Old 11-15-22, 03:38 PM
walterbyrd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
V-brakes vs. Center-pull brakes

Note: all of this is JMHO, based on my limited experience. And I am not a bicycle mechanic at all.

Way back in the 1990s, I always had center-pull brakes. That was fairly standard. I never had any trouble with them. The only maintenance I have had to do was move the clip further up the wire, or change the pads. Both operations were dirt simple, and rarely had to be done. The brakes allowed for a reasonable amount of slop. For example if tires where not exactly true, it was not a problem. I could take my tire off the bike without releasing the brakes.

Now I have an Infinity Boss 3 from Costco. It has V-brakes, and I find them to be a PITA. I have to adjust them frequently. If the two side are not calibrated just right, the brakes will not spring back correctly, and the brake pad on one side will keep rubbing against the rim. Also, the pads are supposed to be angled so the front grabs the tire first. For the brakes to effective, very little slop is allowed. It is a time consuming and complicated operation. I have to unhook my brakes to take my tire off - and that will probably cause me to have to re-adjust the brakes.

It may be that, if the V-brakes are adjusted perfectly, they have greater stopping power than than center-pull. But how much stopping power do I need? I don't want to fly over the handlebars when I stop.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe the Infinity Boss 3 from Costco has crappy brakes.

Any thoughts?