Old 09-12-21, 03:28 PM
Cyclist0105
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
... and the whole carbon fork thing and clamping, well, suffice to say that you should get some proper professional advice on this, not from some internet stranger.
I have a bike with a carbon fork, but it has rack bolt holes in it, and even then, I was very wary of not overloading my front bags and being careful of what and how I rode over and whacking into potholes with it loaded.
I researched carbon fork failures and got some interesting results, suffice it to say that my 20-year carbon fork was designed in a different era.

Therefore I am looking at a Soma Fork Pescadero Replacement:

Replacement CrMo fork for the Soma Pescadero frame set in Gloss Black. Compatible with center mount brakes with 59 to 73mm of reach.

– Tange Infinity CrMo. (Carbon Fiber)

– Axle to crown: 383mm (375mm)

– Rake: 48mm (43 mm)

– Steerer: 1-1/8" (1-1/8" Thread-less)

– With mini-rack mounts and double eyelets at the dropouts

My factory issued carbon fork geometry and specs are in RED.

My gain would be steel over carbon, advances in design from 2-decades ago, mini-rack and double eyelets at the dropout for fenders and a greater tire width over the current fork. I have worked for 42-years as an subject matter expert in electronics design/development, maintenance, calibration, and trouble-hooting and repair in my early career. So, not so much he said/she said but data driven results. ASTM standards cost money, as corporations are held to the specifications.

Sometimes you hit the end of the rainbow by following dissertation papers at peer-reviewed universities.

Soma Pescadero Replacement Fork

I think that this is a win-win.
Fatigue Analysis of Steel Forks

ASTM F2274-11(2016)
October 1, 2016
Standard Specification for Condition 3 (non-suspension) Bicycle Forks

Last edited by Cyclist0105; 09-12-21 at 03:34 PM.