3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
And I wonder how much push-back you'd get from the local shops?
...we never got any pushback from the local bike shops here. We made a particular effort to inform them that we were not doing repairs for money, or selling new stuff.

All our repair efforts were targeted at helping teach people to do their own repairs, and none of the local shops sell used bikes any more, and haven't for a long time. So we were not competing with them in any area where they made money. In fact several of the local shops used to save takeoff stuff like tyres and pedals that people wanted upgraded on their new purchases, to donate to us.

But the starting of one is pretty labor intensive, as is the constant struggle to maintain a roster of knowledgeable volunteers to run the place. I don't mind saying I was burned out after about five years of it, and there are a million personality conflicts that arise in an all volunteer organization. I like to say now that the local bicycle co-op eats its young. Because that's what I saw happening a lot. So it was hard to maintain an organizational memory, to avoid repeating the same mistakes. There are probably better, less burned out people here, who can sufficiently encourage you.