Thread: Road Rage
View Single Post
Old 08-04-22, 02:58 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
My son is presently learning to drive (has his permit). Because I am involved in this process, I am aware that there is well-researched advice on road-rage including that published by state authorities. The guidance here is not arbitrary or capricious and it is not merely the opinion of some.

Driving education and training has consisted of book-based classroom, behind-the-wheel, and movies since at least the 1950's. The books and behind the wheel training hasn't changed much over the decades, but the available movies have. Until recently, there were lecture-based instructional movies, and scare movies. More recently, we have dashcam and traffic-cam fail videos. Previously, it was impractical to mount a film camera on a car or somewhere along the road and hope to catch a fail on film. Even with the advent of widespread video in the 80's and 90's, people were unlikely to have relatively large cameras mounted on their vehicles and continuously recording on tape. Even if they did and caught a fail, they had no way to share it. More recently, we have a proliferation of cheap and tiny cameras that produce good quality video, and easy and convenient video share sites that are a treasure trove of fail compilations that are rich in lessons to be learned. This sub-forum certainly has a share of video and commentary, focused mostly on collisions involving cyclists. Road rage and other confrontations with motorists is a topic that goes beyond the scope of this subforum -- I just mean that not every road rage fail video is appropriate to post here. Do look at some, as some in this thread have described looking at their own video involving themselves in confrontations. Decide what actions would have been preferrable for the people involved. Show me one where someone gained something by not just pedaling away.