View Single Post
Old 08-07-22, 03:35 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Continental Super Sport Plus are of similar design to the Schwalbes with the puncture belt listed above, but I think they use a denser, thinner belt. They're somewhat less usually than Gatorskins, IMO at leas as puncture resistant, and quite long wearing.

I live in an area where there tends to be a fair amount of small (and generally not visible) bits of road debris that often punctures tires - e.g., wire bits from tire blow-outs, staples, small (and not so small sometimes) nails, etc . . . . Before I started using the Super Sport Plus, I'd get punctures regularly - sometimes more than once weekly. With the Super Sport Plus, very rarely. I can think of 2, and both of those were from oldish nails that visually blended into the road surface that might have caused a flat (or at least a slow leak) on a car tire.

Best I can recall, the Super Sport Plus is available in both Kevlar- and wire-bead versions. The latter can be tough to install - but I've had folding bead tires (Conti Ultra Sports) that were as hard if not harder. They're available in 700c-23, -25, and -28, but the last can be hard to find.

I've also used tire liners when I didn't have a Gatorskin or Super Sport Plus handy. Those seem to work about the same.

Neither solution is low-rolling-resistance, so you'll give up a bit there. But I don't do tubeless - and I'd have a bit lower average speed than spend 20 min on the side of the road changing a flat.