View Single Post
Old 08-10-22, 07:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il
Not sure if I am motivated to follow a general discussion of the modern trends in the velo industry. Perhaps my original point that triggered your concerns was not expressed in the most concise way. I was just saying that if pros (see my link in the other post) use rim brakes, I should be more than happy to use mechanical disk brakes without going all the way up to hydraulics.

Having said so, I might be missing something bigtime here, you are more than welcome to drive me to better understand of my options for my Frankenbike. In my particular case, I am looking to use existing R7000 levers with whatever brakes are available for disk wheels with 27.5 2.2" tires. I somehow concluded that TRP Spyres with larger rotors should be good enough for non-competitive fun on rural roads with mild uphill and downhill sections. I ruled out Hy-Rd's because of the alarming number of reports of oil seals broken with Juin's.
Then let's use the correct terminology if you are talking about road rim brakes which are quite a lot different from linear pull brakes on mountain bikes. Road cyclists have been slow to adopt new brakes because of a load of B.S. promoted about them and of course the UCI being slow to adopt them.

Juin Tech and TRP are two different companies so ruling out a brake from a completely different manufacturer with a different design is absolutely silly unless we knew the overall idea was bad but disc brakes are not bad at all and mechanical and hydraulic discs are not bad. TRP makes good quality stuff and has for a long time and of course they are Tektro Racing Products and while Tektro doesn't make high end they make decent quality brakes found on a lot of OEM bikes and at a lot of shops around the globe. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater and especially don't put that baby in another baby's bathwater and then throw out that bathwater with that baby.