Old 08-15-22, 10:25 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
This has gotten discussed on the Bob list and other spots over the many years, and it's fairly well proven.
I've been using a coarse wood rasp to remove material from the rear of some of my problematic brake pads in a similar fashion, and have seen reduced squealing.

I will add that I've had more troubles with KoolStop red brake pads, which seem to get stickier in humid conditions (i.e. summer here in the midwest). Older pads that have had a chance to harden are less sticky and less prone to squealing. Still, I've been surprised that the red Koolstop pads in the Campy Record brakes on my Olmo can squeal enough on a soggy summer day that it will cause the quick release lever to gradually open up! Some additional work with the rasp has improved the behavior, although I'm not sure that it is completely cured.

Steve in Peoria
On Mrs. Road Fan's Paul MiniMotos, I used the popsicle stick spacer trick to toe-in the shoes front and rear, taking advantage of the spherical washers provided on the Kool-Stops. Worked like a champ - smiling wife, good stopping, good pad positioning. Final positioning took a little while!

I was going to do the same thing on the Paul cantis on my 650b, but I must have done those last year or the year before - they brake very well and quietly.