Old 07-27-07, 11:52 AM
KrisA

Bikes: 2002 Rocky HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campagnolo / Shimano 10 Speed Compatibility

Hi all, I've searched all over the internet and have not found an answer to the question I will pose. I thank all in advance for any assistance.

I'm thinking of building up a road bike this winter, up till now I've been doing all my road riding on my cross bike with 23mm tires. I'm thinking the bike (2005 Kona Jake the Snake) is a bit of a limiting factor on some of my road rides, especially climbing as it's not a light bike. Anyways I'm toying with a couple of options for a road bike. Option one is the bank breaker of getting a nice Euro carbon frame (Look 565, or Time Edge type frame) and build it up with Campy Centaur and some nice Campy hoops, perhaps Zonda's. Option two is buying a cheaper frame (Rocky Mountain AC, could get it cheap at around 800cdn for frame, fork, headset and custom paint), throwing some Veloce on it and using my current FSA RD200 wheels which have a Shimano cassette body.

If I go with option two what are my options? I know I can get a conversion cassette from American Classic that will make it work. What about the spacing of a Shimano cassette? Is it actually any different than Campy? The only reason I'm hesitant with the AC conversion cassette is cost, I could get a 105 cassette for about 1/3 the cost.

Again, many thanks,
Kris