View Single Post
Old 03-11-23, 07:52 AM
Nachodate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Having ridden it and a bunch of other front loaders, I can say I didn't care for it. The cable actuated steering is quite sloppy and doesn't feel great. Yes a Riese and Müller Load is expensive but it is probably the nicest riding cargo bike I have been on. Full suspension and a rack and pinion steering makes for a smooth comfortable bike that I feel confident hauling kids and cargo in. I get that same feedback on their steering from other riders.

If they moved to a rack and pinion steering the Yuba would be a fine bike as it is the steering holding it back mostly. A Bosch Performance or Cargo line motor is great and the Tektro brakes used are fine enough (and more importantly have long enough hose) and the bike itself looks good with the bamboo box but the steering makes it suck. We had one on the floor for the longest time and plenty of people came in wanting that bike and left buying a Load or sometimes the Packster (and maybe some who bought mid/long tails). It wasn't that the bike looks bad or is so poorly spec'd (though a belt and a Rohloff E-14 is nice) it is purely steering that really doesn't do it well. The Packster also has less than ideal steering or at least did (I haven't tried the latest version yet only older models) but a touch better than the cables on the Yuba.

If you are only riding it occasionally go for whatever but if you plan on really using the bike save the money and go for the Load or maybe an Urban Arrow (the newer ones are nicer) or see if you can finance it with your local shop. We offer financing and it is how I got my R+M Supercharger2 and I know a lot of people who can buy that bike 5 times over in cash without blinking an eye and still finance. It has made my dream come true a lot faster and a lot more easily. Plus I with the Load I can spec it out to work best for me and I can get it natively dual battery and with different motors and drivetrains to suit my needs plus excellent warranty support.
It’s too bad you had the bike in your shop that long and had the steering set up incorrectly the whole time. I’ve owned a load 60 and a Bullitt and consider the cable steering on the supermarche/supercargo to be the best of them all. Once tensioned correctly, it feels just like all other steering systems, but with much better turning radius which is super helpful in tight situations.

Last edited by Nachodate; 03-11-23 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Typo at beginning