View Single Post
Old 02-12-18, 03:56 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
As a rule over decades of cycling I've found that good quality well fitted kit is less expensive over the long run of use than "bargain" or non-cycling-specific stuff.
The patina of use on equipment is a badge of honor, if not a fashion statement.
I'm not concerned with making a fashion statement. I just don't want to spend a lot on rain gear and have the waterproof coating wear off. I have the same concern with tarps, which can be very expensive for ultra light weight models, which I would like to experiment with - but which I'm afraid will wear out after being packed and unpacked dry and damp for a long time. So I think it's better to just get a basic inexpensive poncho, tarp, etc. and replace it with a new one when it wears out. I would like things that last longer, but I just don't trust the more expensive items because I don't believe that people are really keeping them long enough and using them ruggedly enough to really test them. Also, I tend to trust the testimonials of expensive merchandise less because I figure there's that much more money in lying about how good the product is and suppressing criticism of it.