Old 07-04-18, 09:33 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts

Nearly all my riding is my long-ish commute. I was looking for something with a little bigger frame I could stretch out on. My first one was an ‘88 (I think) Sagres SP that I got off C-List for $50. I put about 500 miles on it but the rear wheel kept breaking spokes, and I could barely fit a 25mm tire under fenders. It is a really nice bike though, it has 175mm cranks, Suntour Accushift drivetrain that indexes really well, and it’s a very comfortable ride. It’s a shame about that wheel, I may invest in another wheel set for the frame if I ever decide I want to have a nice weather go fast bike. The stock seatpost also didn’t play well with my saddle, couldn’t get it level. I love the color.

My most recent I just picked up yesterday, again for $50, a ‘73-ish Special Road Racer. The original (steel) wheels are quite rusty so I have another set on at the moment. I will likely clean them up and ride them until maybe this winter I’ll lace the hubs up to some alloy 700c rims. It has a Suntour GT rear derailer and a 5 speed 13-24 FW. It also has 175mm cranks, centerpulls, and plenty of room for a 32mm tire w/fenders, maybe 35mm after a 700c conversion. It’s surprisingly light. It was really filthy when I got it and I’ve spent a little time cleaning it up but it’s going to need gone through with grease and cables and brake pads and stuff.before I put any serious miles on it. It’s very comfortable though. If I save the 13-24 Regina FW and put on a new 14-28, it’ll give me some pretty good gears with nice even steps. I think a 24t will be a little tall. I really like it so far though. It’s smooth like a sewing machine.

I’m a Fuji owner sort of by accident as these were just what was available locally for cheap and my purchase wasn’t brand driven but I am starting to appreciate the quality, especially of the older one.

Likes For Phamilton: