View Single Post
Old 08-11-21, 08:20 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by sw20
About to bite the bullet on either the 530 or Bolt V2, still undecided on which one, never had a gps bike computer before so nothing to compare it with! Am leaning towards the Bolt because of the ease of use that everyone mentions, but the Garmin is currently on sale for £207 and I can get the performance bundle for £290. The equivalent Bolt bundle will be about £340, have read good and bad reviews on both products! Decisions decisions!
Thread starter here.
The lack of Wahoo Bolts in store pushed me to Garmin. A GPS is something I really want to hold and feel before buying- button layout, feel of quality, etc.

The 530 has been perfect so far, and for the price I would expect it to be. Setting up data fields is not an elegant process, but its doable once you understand the steps. Routes auto-upload fine(again, i would expect that) and battery life has been good. I like the display- the map is a significant upgrade over my old Lezyne, directions are good, the audible beep notifications are great, and the color on the sides for cars passing is nice.
I bought a new GPS just so I could have the Varia radar rear...that is kinda backwards sounding and pretty fear based, even though I dont consider it an emotional purchase. Regardless, the connectivity with Varia has been perfect and I enjoy the tech. Its helps a lot when im riding on gravel- I can just transition over to the side of the road to let cars pass and it keeps me from frustrating drivers due to me taking up the middle of the road when thats the best line.

Garmin's old usb port is lame. Garmin's less than fully secure mount is lame(my old Lezyne had a more secure mount). Besides those things, its a clear upgrade from what I had and I would get it again.
...in the meantime, Ive seen the Bolt on a couple of friends' bikes and its great too. Had one been in stock in a store, I would have bought it instead. After a month of use, I dont think you can go wrong either way.
Likes For mstateglfr: