Thread: New Stove
View Single Post
Old 09-21-21, 01:38 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
I do not understand the desire or need for a wood stove.

Liquid fuel stoves can be a hassle to clean and even if you get it to the point of no petroleum smell, they still might get confiscated by TSA. I no longer fly with liquid fuel stoves for that reason.

But butane mix type stoves are rarely confiscated by TSA. Twice I have had TSA (or their equivalent agency in a foreign country) inspect my stove in my presence, once was when she said if she could smell anything she had to confiscate it, but it did not smell so I got to keep it. The other time, the jagged pot supports to prevent the pot sliding off looked like a weapon on the X ray, so the TSA inspector had to run his fingers on the pot supports to see if it was a weapon, I got to keep my stove that time too.

Even if TSA confiscates your stove, butane mix type stoves that run on a cannister are pretty cheap. I think it is worth a roll of the dice to travel with a butane mix type stove.

I just came home from a backpacking trip on the Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota. Every campsite has a fire ring, but due to forest fires and dry conditions they prohibited fires and they also prohibited stoves that lacked an on-off switch. Only stoves like butane or liquid fuel were allowed because you could turn them off immediately.
I like the canister type stoves for their simplicity. Not much can go wrong with them. The pizo igniters can be a problem in colder weather. I like the ferro rods much better. I was already paranoid about things that drop out of the sky from experiences in the military when TSA put the last nail in that coffin. With the newest form of government induced excitement happening at the airports. I don't see myself on a plane again. I prefer rental cars. What is the coldest weather you have used your canister stove in.