tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
Ah, "what stove?".

The good advice is upthread. For a walk on the wild side...my local Walmarts now all carry Coghlans brand solid fuel tablets (hexamine) for Esbit-style stoves. No, I can't promise the Walmart between your airport and your first campsite will have them in stock.

Expedition Research has started offering hexamine fuel. They claim their's is 'improved'.

An outfit called FireDragon has started offering a solid fuel they say is made from sustainable 'bio-fuel'. Also available in a gel.

Some folks claim you can fly with solid fuel. A lot more say you can't. Your friendly TSA agent at baggage check can (and will) tell you one way or the other.

The only fuel I'm aware you can fly with in the USA is drinkable alcohol - for best burn in your little stove, as close to the maximum TSA allowed 140 proof (70%) as you can get. Sealed in its commercial packaging only. On the upside, you can check up to 5 liters (!), and if you can find some yellow-bottle HEET instead, you can drink what you brought from home.

EDIT: Hold the phone! You can currently fly with up to 12 oz. of "hand sanitizer". I've found some that's 80% alcohol. The rest is hydrogen peroxide and/or glycerin and/or water. Guaranteed to either kill or cure!

BTW, here's what the horse's mouth (TSA) has to say:https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...tcanibring/all

Hmph - you may carry on one lighter and one book of safety matches, but can't check either one. Hmph. I don't see any restriction on flint&steel, but you might want to check it just to be safe.

All the little village grocery stores here in Parts Unknown carry Sterno (perhaps to put under chaffing dishes at Methodist and Lutheran pot-lucks). I don't want this thread to descend into bitter name calling...((but I like my Sterno Inferno cookset quite a lot)). Sterno - also available in a bio-fuel version.

Most of us care about the future. Even those that don't are most likely going to have a carbon-free future imposed on them right along with everybody else. Okay, carbon-free camp-cooking. Hmm. Here's what I've got so far:

Last edited by tcs; 09-22-21 at 09:45 AM.