Old 11-26-21, 08:49 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
My brother has the first version (with drum brakes) and a later version of the bike (with mechanical disk brakes).
He had problems with one of the wheel bearings on the first version and had to order a whole wheel to replace it, as they did not sell the pressed in bearing separately. The bearings on the later version seems to be holding up better.
Uh oh! Thanks for the heads up. How many miles until he had that problem?

It's good enough, I guess, as a town bike to do short commutes on or grocery shopping, if you strap on a basket on to the built in rear rack.
I tried riding both his Stridas and the "begging dog" - like riding position makes it quite uncomfortable after some time and distance though and the twitchy front end makes it tiresome. The belt drive surprisingly, was a bit noisy making chattering sounds that cannot be adjusted away. Must be some tolerance problems with the molded front sprocket. Not matching exactly with the teeth on the drive belt or vice versa. I tried adjusting the seat to improve the riding position, but adjustment range is just too limited to make real improvements.
Interesting! I don't know why I find the position so comfortable. That's weird re chattering. I only hear quick skipping going up a steep hill, at which point I just give up and walk.

I'm also a bit apprehensive about all the major plastic (Delrin?) frame parts on the bike that might eventually start cracking from UV and stress.
I think the Strida is more of just an engineering conversation piece than a real, practical daily rider bike. A Brompton or a Dahon, although not as cool looking, will be a much better choice.
Agreed. I do store mine indoors though and except for the top bracket the other parts seem OK. I will have to watch for sun damaging the plastics.

I thought it was just a cool idea, as you stated, and my Dahon Speed D7 is way more practical with its derailleur and larger rack, but this Strida is so dang comfortable. It's definitely going to be good for short rides (10-20 mi) on lightly rolling/even terrain.