Old 11-27-21, 08:23 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
How they fold:

That graphic is cute but not helpful. How they fold is: the 'down tube' unhooks from the 'head tube' and folds up to parallel the 'seat tube', and this frees the 'head tube' to fold down to parallel the 'seat tube. This brings the two wheels side-by-side and magnets at the hubs of the wheels attract one another to hold the whole shebang together. Separately, you pull the ends of the handlebar out and they fold down. With folded handlebar you can still steer the folded bike from the stem as you walk along behind it. It rolls forward effortlessly, but due to the freewheel it can only roll a few feet backward before the wheel locks up. It's long, but it's thin.

I've pretty much given up tourism, flying, and that kind of thing; but if I were to spend a week in a new and fascinating place like, say, Athens or London or ... well, pretty much any big old city, I think a Strida would be a great thing to bring along. Anyplace you can walk, you can ride a Strida and probably not piss off the other pedestrians. You can ride it as slow as walking, or up to about three times walking speed, which saves a lot of time, all without giving up anything in terms of public transit. It's amazing how fast you can dismount and fold a Strida; I used to ride mine to the 7th Ave door of Penn Station in NYC, dismount at the curb, and start walking. Without stopping, or even slowing down, I would fold the bike as I walked across the sidewalk to the escalator or stairs; by the time I got to the stairs, the bike was fully folded. This took about five seconds. Getting on the train, I'd roll the bike in front of me until I found a seat, sling the bike up onto the overhead rack and secure it with my helmet and sit down before anyone behind me realized I had a bike with me.