Old 01-04-23, 02:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
This past summer a friend of mine had a shifting problem on his Microshift bar end shifter, I do not recall if it was the indexed rear or friction front, but I solved it with a tightening of the screw with an allen wrench. This is the only Microshift bar end shifter that I have touched.

And a few years ago I rode a 200k brevet and after completing it another rider complained that part way through her rear Microshift bar end shifter would shift to the highest gear unless she held onto it with her hand. After several hours of hanging onto the shifter, she gave up and rode much of the time in the highest gear. She had the shifters installed by a bike shop shortly before that event, thus had minimal experience with them.

I do not have enough experience with Microshift bar end shifters to know if there is a magic solution to this shifter working loose or not, but I am starting to suspect removable thread locker like Loctite might be a solution.

Last time I bought any threadlocker, this is what I bought:
https://www.truevalue.com/6-ml-remov...hread-locker-1
Have been using that for several years on rack bolts, fender bolts, etc. There are other brands too, Loctite is often mentioned.

The issue the OP described is not a Microshift specific issue. It can be an issue on Shimano bar end shifters and even old SunTour ratcheting friction shifters. If there isnt enough counter-tension on the screw in the shifter, then it the cable will adjust until it is in a neutral position, which means the derailleur will move in kind. When set up properly, all brands will keep the tension at the level you want.