Old 07-04-20, 10:43 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Happens all the time. Cars pass on blind corners. If you're worried about that, it's a good thing because it means that cars aren't staying in their own lane and just barely missing you. You need to remember that you can't see what the driver sees. There's a very good chance that the driver can see enough to know he's OK doing what he's doing. You're not a car and he can cut back in sooner than you may realize. In 25 years of riding on my local windy no-shoulder roads, I've never had a car cut back in before being completely past me. OTOH, I've seen many oncoming cars almost forced into the ditch by the passing car. That's very common and I think happens because many drivers regard a bike as a stationary object, not realizing that we're might be doing 20-30.

My response to these behaviors is to be always aware that a head-on might occur 50' in front of me and to be ready to take action if necessary. But like I say, in many hundreds of these encounters, no accidents.

As far as riding out in the lane goes, I don't recommend it. There's a guy in my riding group who does that and has been hit twice while riding solo, whereas the rest of us, who don't do that, have never been hit. I don't think the stats are favorable, even though there are many advocates. Our state law says, "as far to the right as is practical,".which might prejudice the outcome of any accident investigation.