View Single Post
Old 07-14-21, 11:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
The Useless Forum, and can it be saved?

I don't think it's any secret that A&S is not much of a Forum. If you look at the BF main page, you will see this forum virtually never (maybe actually never) has more than single digit numbers of people viewing, and the posts on this forum are almost always by the same 20 or so people who know each other's lines so well that they could probably write them for each other. It's a completely stale "debating society" where virtually nothing of interest is ever discussed, and certainly no new ideas are being generated.

The typical thread here is what I'd call the "argue over the corpse" thread. Yes, I know that name is tasteless, but I frankly find the whole genre disgusting. Someone links a newspaper account of a cyclist being killed, and then we line up to argue our pet theories of who did what wrong to cause it, relying on the tiny snippets of information provided by the news story. It's a completely useless exercise, no one actually tells anyone anything worth conveying, and certainly no one is convinced by anyone else. It's a complete Punch and Judy show with the body of a dead cyclist being used as a prop. At any given time on this forum, there are usually at least two such threads active here. That may not sound like a lot, but there seems to be rarely more than 4 or 5 threads actually active on the forum at any given time.

Maybe there just aren't enough safety issues and advocacy issues to support a forum of its own and we've all run out of anything new to say. Maybe someone else can come up with a fresh set of topics that might actually be interesting to discuss. But I have to say, I've drifted in and out of this forum for the past few years, and I increasingly find I just don't see how much of what's discussed here could possibly be of interest to anyone.

You can now resume your arguments over whether the cyclist rolling through the stop sign will anger the driver enough so that the driver will text about it while driving.and hit someone or whatever it is this week.
Likes For livedarklions: