Thread: Helix Update?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-19, 08:06 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
If you've got to remove the front wheel, then I'd just lock it up like any other full sized bike, it's just too time consuming and too much trouble. It's too big to roll around inside shops, heck, the helix at 24" is really pushing the limits of what most shops would allow but the perception of the smaller wheels might be good enough. Then there is the riding experience - Changebike might be a great ride but, for me anyway, I have found urban riding is so much better with a smaller wheel. The bike is more nimble and easier to accelerate from all the stops. It's just all depends on what your needs and wants happen to be. But I don't think there's any way the Changebike and Helix are interchangeable in terms of usage so it's just not a valid comparison. Changebike is probably awesome but I doubt it has the right appeal to folks who bought the Helix.
I have a 20" and a 24". In urban riding (downtown Boston) I have not found the tire size an effect on my riding. Acceleration is about even when you factor in the traffic and conditions limit your speed and movement. The Helix appears beefed up, which is probably a more important criteria when riding in urban conditions than acceleration. I have traveled and rode in many downtown areas (Dallas I hate you) the bike takes a real beating on less than ideal roadways. My Airnimal has to remove the front wheel, but I don't think it takes any longer than my Dahon fold. I have a cord that pops the tire against the frame. I've not had an issue storing on the train or bringing it inside. I think as long as a bike rolls, which neither of mine do, then size should not matter. Maybe where i am is the exception but it is rare that I have to fold my bike when moving it. I can walk my bike right to the train entrance without issue.