View Single Post
Old 03-26-19, 01:30 PM
Ultralight
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi All, I don't visit this forum much but know that you guys are curious about updates.

All four of my Helixes arrived over two days with the final dropped off by Fed Ex today. So Helixes are going out the door and I am sure that the pace will pick.

It is a marvel of engineering and pure pleasure to put together and break down. I am very much amazed at the price point - even with new orders pricing. Without rushing, after getting used to it, assembly and take down should take no more than 20 seconds. In the video on supporters only site, Peter does it in a relaxed manner in 12 seconds. And then to be able to throw all four in the trunk if we wish to do so, out of sight of the public eye is a real plus. (And no, I will not have the opportunity to ride them yet until this weekend due to projects - plus two of my sons that we got these for have no longer living in our area so there's going to be a wait for them.

First impression: The Helix is an absolutely fantastic piece of engineering and feels very solid in the living room. (My wife and I had looked at and test rode Bromptoms a few years back and going by memory, this just feels better in the assembly and size - a lot closer to regular bike.) The act of putting it together and breaking it down is a real pleasure. The bike is stronger than it needs to be so this should be excellent for an urban environment. Peter designed it to be durable for trail riding. (Supposedly most manufacturers send multiples of parts to be tested so that each new part undergoes only one specific stress test. Peter sent one bike and the various tests were done on the one bike without substituting new parts for each test. The tests were then done for twice as many cycles as are customary in the industry standard.) I note this as I believe durability matters for a folding bike that will be used in a wide range of environments.

Through all the delays, never doubted that the bike will see the light of day. I for one am very happy to see one man/family/team's vision come to fruition.

OK, over and out.