Old 03-12-22, 08:59 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
I recall a member here, @Slightspeed I think, still has the bar-end equipped Legnano he raced with.
Yes, I got my Legnano Roma new in 1965 as a junior racer. It came with Campagnolo bar ends which I loved. I guess I didn't know any better, because they worked for me. I rode my first junior race on a boat anchor Schwinn Continental, so the Legnano was a huge step up for me, and I thought the bar ends were really cool. Still do. That said, I have Suntour bar ends on two other vintage bikes and the ratcheting mechanism is far superior to the Campy ones on my Legnano. I love the Legnano, still ride it and have no plans to change them. I have an old Peugeot PR10 with down tube Simplex shifters. I prefer my bar ends any day.​​All the reasons to use them have been mentioned here, ease of operation, easier to modulate gear selection, plus I'm a fairly tall rider, and its a long reach down to the down tube shifters, and just feels plain awkward.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 03-12-22 at 09:08 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed: