View Single Post
Old 07-17-22, 05:58 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That's a good start. You can fold in nutrition and hydration (though I've done sprints with neither... not recommended though). You can also go above 90% for a sprint, if we're talking FTP. Test in the pool to see how much you gain with kicking in the swim vs not - a light kick might speed you up more than it costs you.

Also, if you have a few races, you can always push your limit and see how fast you can go before you blow up. It's probably faster than you think.

Oh and try to pass people on the run! Don't keep up. The second-to-last race I did was the 70.3 in Boulder and I was so shattered after that I couldn't think about talking without nearly throwing up. Was definitely blown up.

Zero drop shoes are often minimal, but not always - you can have a high-but-equal stack front and rear. Even Altra has different levels of cushion, though they're all zero. Most Hokas, I think, are low-drop at 4-6mm. Be careful trying though - running too hard or too much in them at first is a great way to strain your calves and Achilles.
Not sure what you mean with stack and drop. My kick is absolutely worthless. One reason why I don't do it. But it's probably more form than anything. I do work on hydration and carb loading the week before. The first Olympic I did, I really didn't plan it well and I was wiped out, barely crossed the line before time cut off. I was literally the last person to finish before the race timed out. Last Olympic I did I carb loaded the week before and I did much, much better.