View Single Post
Old 09-11-22, 03:54 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikier
Back in the 1970s in Portland, Oregon more than anything I wanted a bike built by one of the Portland holy three: Jim Merz, Mark DeNucci or Bruce Gordon. At the time I could not afford one of their bikes. In 1982 I purchased my beloved TREK 710 frame which was pretty darn close. Jump forward 40+ years and I doubted I would ever find one of their previously owned bikes to fit my 5'3" (and shrinking every year). Jim Merz shared on his FB an ad for one of his bikes for sale at a Portland LBS only 40 mins from my home. I rushed over and as of a week ago it is mine,mine,mine. It's in amazing shape. 50cm frame, Colombus SL and mostly Campy Record mechs. I couldn't be happier with it.
My question: is there anyone out there who owns or has owned a bike built by all three: Merz, DeNucci and Gordon?

photo credit James Mason

50cm frame, Colombus SL and mostly Campy Record mechs. I couldn't be happier with it.
My question: is there anyone out there who owns or has owned a bike built by all three: Merz, DeNucci and Gordon?
Great score, glad you got that one, it had been there for quite awhile.

I have 5 Merz's, 4 Strawberry's with two having been built by DiNucci, Andy Newlands started Strawberry and hired DiNucci, Andy is actually one of the original triad and still in business.

DiNucci eventually worked for Merz as well then also went out on his own, he and Merz went to Specialized, Merz was first and DiNucci followed.

I met Jim when I was in HS and like you could never afford one until about 10 years ago.

Gordon was not a PDX builder, he was in Eugene for 10 years, hung out and rode with the others as the photo shows. He came from Calif. and went back after.

I have one of his from this time as well.

Last edited by merziac; 09-11-22 at 04:17 PM.