Old 03-15-23, 08:08 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 449 Posts
Since my hip replacements, which included 4 dislocations and a re-do, I really prefer bicycles with step-through frames. My first dislocation happened mounting my motorcycle, and I have gotten better at mounting my diamond-framed bike, but it is not confidence inspiring, and if I have to stop on a steep part, I'm walking until it's nearly flat again to re-mount. Despite that, I've done some of my longest and most satisfying rides on it since I restored it.

Church at Black Mesa

I started riding again during the pandemic, on a Jamis Citizen 1 step-through upright hybrid, or 'comfort' bike, or whatever, but now it seems pretty sluggish and I seldom ride it anymore, mainly because its "hop on and ride" role is now filled with my brother's Clem Smith Jr. step-through. I'm going to ditch the experimental butterfly bars on Clem shortly, and go back to the Clarence bars with single grips. Even though I have more hand positions, I don't like any of them as well, it seems. The downside of Clem is that it's a foot longer than most any other bike around, and so weighs about 32 pounds. Still fleeter than the Jamis, and it let me ride every foot of Saguaro NP's loop drive with ease and joy.

Clem

Now I'm building a drop-bar step-through, which will have brifters and clipless pedals for me to master...

55 cm Raleigh Super Record mixte

I will dub the look "Classic Funky".
Likes For Fredo76: