Old 03-17-23, 11:51 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
To the OP's question, let me take the last part first: the kind of riding I do.

Since I was a kid, I have used bikes to explore ... not widely or speedily, but rather more closely, if you will. I don't cover a whole lot of distance on a ride because I stop a lot to look around. One of the things I enjoy is just turning off onto some side road I've never been on before and finding out where it goes and what's on it. Around where I live, a lot of what I find is just residential real estate, but there are often delightful surprises. For example, a couple years ago I took such a detour, and at the little cul-de-sac turnaround at the end I found out why the road stopped there: a broad ravine. The surprise was that on its opposite side was the back end of some other residential road I hadn't been on ... and the people in the house on the far side had built a little kind of private park: they'd built a set of stairs going diagonally down into the ravine, leading to a tiny groomed spot big enough for a picnic table. What's more, they had built a very pretty little bridge spanning the little stream at the bottom.

Aside from things like this, I also get to enjoy nature, seeing the various creatures that motor-speed steals from perception, and finally, I've just always enjoyed propelling myself around under my own quiet power.

My ideal bike, then, isn't properly a bike at all, it's the new GreenSpeed Anura I bought in late January.

As much as I've loved (most of) the uprights I've had, I've wanted a delta trike ever since I knew they existed, and maybe before that; something about the idea just appealed to me, but I never had the means before. I wasn't going to buy one without trying it, either, and I got my chance at the Recumbent Cycle-Con in October last year. Long drive, but it was well worth it.

You remember a long time ago how Mazda had a tag-line for their car commercials: "It just feels right"? That was the phrase that came to me when I got on the Anura, from the first minute.

I'd also been considering a Sunseeker X3-AX, and someone brought in an assortment of Sun trikes and bikes ... I test-rode that one for a very short time. Nice seat ... the rest of it just plain scared me.

As of now, the Anura is in my living room being fitted with options, some very challenging, like how to attach the two small cargo boxes I bought for it, and how to attach the tail-lights where I want them, on the top of the rear fenders. I'm having to invent custom brackets for those, but the boxes will bring a few groceries home ... and maybe an odd souvenir from the road.
Likes For rollagain: