Old 07-31-19, 09:59 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Torque for a new Surly Ogre build...

Building this bike by hand: https://www.cyclingabout.com/custom-...ing-bike-2019/

I know how to do the build myself, but I have never used a torque wrench on anything before. I understand how they work and I know if I speak in front of engineers, I should not be asking, "Does this need really be torqued?"

But, I honestly don't know the answers to those things. I would imagine I could find a spec for every single screw that needs to be torqued on a bike and how much. I honestly don't know how important as an amateur mechanic, I need to be worried about this, and I don't want to lay out the cost for a torque wrench right now if I don't need to for various reasons.

So how important is it to torque things? Can I go without doing it if I have a descent mechanical sense of things? If not, what are the "critical" things to have done? If I absolutely "had" to have some things torqued on a new build, what needs to be done that maybe I can run over to my LBS, and pay them a few bucks, to torque down the last couple of things that need to be done? Can I even do something like that, or is there something that is going to come up, that needs to be torqued on the spot, that will prevent me from going any further until it's done?

I have watched videos of Bottom Brackets being installed, and have seen mechanics talk about "hand tight" is good on them, and talking about to the level of what that means. And that is how I have done it.

The wheel set is being done professionally so nothing there for me to worry about. The one place that comes to mind that I need to ask about is the 6 bolt discs being attached to the wheel set. I would assume that is one place that might be important. The other places on a bike that I can think of, including disc brakes, I have been doing by hand for years, with thread lock, and never had any issues. Everything else on handlebars, racks, etc.. I am comfortable with hand tight and thread lock where applicable also.

Is there anything I really need to be concerned with? As an amateur bike mechanic, what is the correct way, what should I know, understand, and what would I want to know that I don't know now?

Thanks

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 07-31-19 at 10:03 PM.