Old 08-01-19, 10:00 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Just get it. Its equally as nice as a tyre pump with a gauge. You dont NEED either, but you be happy to have it.
While touring?

I am looking at building a bike to go leave and tour full time. So purchasing more tools at the moment is not something I want to do, because then I need to resell everything. I don't personally own a lot of things, on purpose, for this reason, and pretty much have everything consolidated down to a few totes. So right now I am debating between if I put the few things I have left in storage, including all my tools, and pay the $50 bucks a month for closet space, or if I should just sell off what I have, take the extra funds, and use it while on the road. I don't know how long I will be gone or back to get that stuff, and even at $50 a month for storage space, it adds up to $600 a year. I don't have $600 in tools, so it's easier to get rid of everything than pay the storage if I am gone for multiple years. At the same token, it's not like you can just turn around and sell used tools on ebay and Craigslist "just like that." That stuff takes time, and I don't have the luxury of sitting around and waiting till all that stuff sells off. So the last thing I want to do is bring another tool into the mix right now when I have already bought stuff like Bottom Bracket tools that I am virtually going to touch once for the next two years at least. This stuff adds up. So if I am not planning to carry it, I don't want to have to get another tool.

If I was staying local long term, then I absolutely I would want a torque wrench. It's not a matter of whether I want one or not at all, but more so, can I get through this build without one? Do I need to carry one while touring (which I don't think so)? And what education can I grab from it now while the question is up there since I honestly don't know enough on the subject. So killing multiple birds with one stone.