View Single Post
Old 02-17-17, 06:00 AM
dplevy81

Bikes: 12 Diamond Back Topanga custom build, 16 Niner Air 9 custom build, Slightly modded 16 Polygon Helios F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek DS MTB tire question

After a season of riding my 2016 DS 8.4 on and off road, I scored a deal of a life time on a slick flat bar road bike. The plan is to keep the DS and make it more off road specific. The frame geometry is perfect for the light trail and toe path riding that I do with it. Before the haters tell me I should get an actual MTB, I'm not going to be jumping it, going down technical trails, or racing it in any way.

I'm trying to figure out what is the biggest tire I can fit. Will be running a Bontrager rear rack and a front fender of some sort. I've done some homework and from what I gather the issue is with the back tire hitting the FD bracket. I'm told that a Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 is my best option, but would prefer something from the Continental lineup if possible. Priorities are light as possible while still having flat protection. Rolling resistance doesn't matter because it will be used primarily on gravel and dirt.

If anyone running MTB tires on their DS could post some pics and specs of what you are currently running so I could explore my options it would be greatly appreciated.