rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2651 Post(s)
Liked 5,826 Times in 3,000 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
For me the variation in my fitness during the year would never warrant changing my gear range. Even pulling a single gear higher at the same cadence is a big step in terms of power/fitness. When I’m less fit I just drop into a lower gear or reduce my cadence slightly. The difference may only be in the order of 20-30W, but it is massive in terms of fitness.

So I gear for the terrain I’m riding rather than changes in my fitness. As an extreme, my mtb obviously has much lower gearing than my road bike. As we have a lot of steep climbs, my road bikes all have compact doubles with 1:1 lowest gear. On a steep climb I can often put out more power spinning in a lower gear anyway. Look at the gravel gearing Roglic used in the Giro mountain TT. No shame there! 😂

Since I started using a power meter, I soon discovered that grinding bigger gears up hills subjectively feels more powerful (higher pedal forces), but often results in lower power output because of the lower cadence. Remember that Power = Pedal Torque x Cadence.
I have found that rather than turning big gears on a climb, I am actually faster when I gear down and increase cadence. I still like to challenge myself when climbing and go for PRs but as I age, I am also slowly becoming more aware of energy conservation (VS constantly pushing myself) so I have something left in the tank for the next day. The two sets of gears are on different bikes. The bike I usually have on the Kickr is the one with the lower gears which I got out for summer rides. The bike is actually lighter than my endurance bike but forces me to climb harder on the steeps because of it.