View Single Post
Old 11-13-22, 10:34 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
False equivalency. Plastic water bottles are single use. Is your bike single use? No, a bike will last a decade or more.

And of course it's better to downcycle a plastic water bottle than to throw it into a landfill. But it's even better not to use it at all as it's unnecessary.

And BTW, i own bikes made of carbon fiber as well as steel and aluminum alloy. All have their strengths and weaknesses.
This is a clear case of you refusing to accept the eco responsibility for the type of bike material you have chosen to use, and instead are trying to pass the blame off of yourself and back to plastic bottles. While a bike will last a decade of more you would have to consume a lot more bottles than a decade of use would be, and during that decade of bike you are consuming tires, tubes, handlebar tape, seats, plastic water bottles, etc.

Now look, I own quite a few bikes, I would have never brought up all of this had you not gone off on plastic bottles, which in the scope of things is really minor especially when you consider that most bottles these days are being recycled...but even that recycle process takes fossil fuel to do. In other words, there is nothing that you or I use that doesn't cost something somewhere in terms of eco pollution, even when we fart! And the reality is, we should be using glass bottles with a deposit fee, which we get back when we return the bottle instead of plastic bottles.