View Single Post
Old 09-23-13, 07:51 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by cacher
Looking through the reviews here for a cycle light to use, and went to tplanetbikes site to review their review, and found this

"Blaze™ one-watt LED is twice as bright as half-watt LED".........you don't think.
I used to have the Blaze 2 watt light and retired it two years ago as it is inadequate for real night riding. Maybe good to get home in a pinch or as a flasher for visibility, but not something you want as a light to ride at night with if you can help it. Many of the other lights listed here are 4 - 5 times brighter (no exaggeration) and cost less too. My favorite right now is the Xeno e03 which sells for $30 and puts out 480 CERTIFIED lumens in a nice flood pattern. The Blaze barely puts out 100 lumens on high (though it does last a long time) and has more of a spot beam. You can do way better than the Blaze. The Xeno uses a single AA or a rechargeable 14500 Li ION cell; you will need to use the 14500 rechargeable to get max brightness. Two months ago on a tour on the C&O canal we got stuck riding at night and I had the only decent light. We wound up riding 3 abreast with me in the middle lighting up the path for everyone with my tiny Xeno e03 (and it was like riding in daylight for everyone). The Xeno with it's flood beam actually washed out the spot beams from the other double A lights so they just shut them off.