View Single Post
Old 03-16-22, 11:31 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Velogoth
I don't like to be a hater, but in my opinion the Weehoo trailers are "BSO's". I was considering buying one, and emailed their customer service with some basic questions about the gearing to see what speeds my kid would actually be able to "push" at. I asked for chainring size, cog size, wheel size, and dropout type.

They told me they had no idea what the chainring and cog sizes were, but that they could "ask the factory". They also said that the dropouts were vertical. I eventually ended up borrowing one from a friend, and found out that the dropouts were horizontal (as you'd assume for a singlespeed). I also found out that it was super heavy, it's basically made out of the same tubes you'd use for a trampoline frame. The Weehoo weighed significantly more than my bike did.

Sad, really, as I'd assume there would be a market for "recumbent" style bike trailers that don't weigh twice what your bike does. I ended up buying a FollowMe tandem. That's also heavy, but at least has some good options for growing children.
I went through a couple different trailer bikes, eventually settled on the Burley Kazoo (Same as Piccolo, only Kazoo=single speed, Piccolo=7speed). It's bigger, thinner wall tubing, the bearings on the pivot are FAR superior to anything else, and the trailer tracks closer to the bike wheels than the seat-post ones. I've not seen anything else that's as good.