Old 06-23-22, 04:15 PM
Tiny_Valkyrie

Bikes: Custom 2020 MaHall bikeworks gravel machine, 2021 Tumbleweed Prospector, 2019 Niner Air9 RDO, 2017 Norco Tactic, 1969 Raleigh Sports, 2020 Surly Troll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Zumkopf
OK, first of all, market value really isn't the issue. Neither bike will ever command much money; the Record was the entry-level derailleur/drop bar bike in the Raleigh lineup; the Sports was their meat and potatoes in England, and to a lesser state here in the States, for decades. Multiple decades.
They are two entirely different riding experiences. The Sports seats an upright rider, takes things slower, is much more comfortable over road and track. The Record puts the rider leaning forward, has a dreadful seat IIRC, and can be positively punishing on a really rough road. But you will certainly both feel and in reality be moving faster, hair in the wind, on the Record.
For my money I'd take the Sports and find another bike for the sporting ride. You will need more than one bike anyway, as others have pointed out. There are plenty of 10 - 12 - multi multi speed options out there, the majority of which will be lighter than the Record, with better components, and will cost not much more and perhaps less. You get a better version of that particular riding experience. OTOH the Sports was and is the apotheosis of the English touring/commuting bike experience. There's nothing else that gives that experience.
I will be interested in riding them side-by-side for sure. I've always taken a liking to Raleigh's, which is why I recently wanted to get a vintage one for those in-town errand commutes. I have some really nice bikes and I just want something that doesn't scream for attention when it parked outside a shop/grocery store. I've been needing a home project, which is why I am enjoying restoring this Raleigh and hopefully not putting too much money into it (hard not to). The upside, I know the Record was built in England based on the serial number. I'd have to check the serial on the Sports to get more information on it. Both are solid rigs though, like you mentioned. I'd thinks the Sports would be a heavier bike that the Record, just by nature of the Record being a faster road bike. If I do sell this Record Ace, maybe I could break even with it, unless of course I just enjoy riding it too much and hold on to it for myself