View Single Post
Old 07-01-22, 09:08 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
I still have a bunch of 1" threaded steerers that came from Miele. They include several brands including several with internal ribbing. Columbus steerers are easy to identify because they are spiral. I haven't bothered to identify the Japanese ribbed steerers but my recollection (without going to check) is that there are 2 kinds. They are vertical instead of spiral. I also have some steerers without any reinforcing ribs. All of these steerers came from Miele. It appears to me that what brand of steerer they used was related to frame size.

I also have a lot of Miele fork crowns. I've been really thankful for them. They are perfect for brazing practice for my framebuilding class students before they braze their real fork. These full sloping crowns are the easiest for learners to braze. It is necessary for training purposes to start easier and build on success. Beautiful twin plate crowns require greater brazing mastery. As their instructor, I have to manage their emotions so they don't get discouraged or disappointed while on their learning curve. Starting with something too difficult can really hurt learning motivation.
Likes For Doug Fattic: