Old 08-11-22, 11:15 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
In those 10 years, when a customer needed a very tall stem such as a Nitto technomic how often did you tell that customer to go ahead and pay the expense of the labor involved in installing the stem? Or did you suggest that perhaps the bike might be on the small side and a larger one might work better?
My assessment of frame size was always, ALWAYS (at the time) based on stand-over height and proper leg extension when sitting on the saddle. My recommendations /suggestions on stem height were based on customer's comfort wants or needs as they expressed them to me, based on a properly-sized frame. Stem height suggestions were separate and apart from frame size. Did customers want to ride bikes that I deemed too tall or too short? Sure, all the time. If they were unconvinced after my explanations, that was fine, and their decision. If a buyer was "between sizes," I'd always recommend the smaller size.

I'll bet that you had the customer try the larger bike first which is precisely my point. So you are making a point (that a very tall stem could be a sign that the bike is on the small side) that is contrary to your 10 years of experience.
Ummm...no. That's a mighty big assumption that I would have the rider try a taller frame first. In fact, it probably would have been the opposite. It of course would come up in discussing the bikes that there were different frame sizes, and of course the customer was free to request to try a taller frame, but that certainly wouldn't have been my go-to suggestion out of the box.

And of course one can get a good fitting with a tall stem (which I suggested in my initial post). That is just a duh observation on your part. Just take a look at the long thread of all the MTBs converted to drops.
I would phrase it thusly: Once you have a properly-sized frame, there are stem options, both in height and length, that can be used to place the customer into a more comfortable position, if that is what the customer was looking for.

Here is my conversion on a 90s Specialized Stumpjumper. I used a Nitto technomic to get the bars up where I needed them.

OK? What's your point?