Old 08-14-22, 08:00 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
My questions:
  1. What do folks carry on the flat part of a front rack? This bike came with a gigantic front rack. I have a bag (see photo) I could use for my jacket and wallet and such. Good idea? Or should that space be used for something else?
  2. How about the flat top part of the rear rack? My tent maybe?
  3. Do folks typically carry their sleeping bags outside their panniers? Is rain a concern? Do you plastic bag it?
When you do get this stuff figured out the way you want it, you may find that you like to do things different than others suggest. That is fine, do what works for you. Example, I just did a word search on this thread for the word tent, most say top of rear rack., one says in front, one in a rear pannier.

And I always put the tent in my right front pannier which is different from everyone else. I put other stuff in that front right pannier that can be stored wet because the tent often is wet. I put the tent there because when I get to a campsite, the first thing I do is set up a tent to be ready for weather. Weather might be great, but old habits never die. I want to get up the tent in case of a sudden surprise of bad weather. And, I use a kickstand on my bike, the first thing that can come off of the bike without upsetting the balance on a kickstand is the front right pannier or handlebar bag. So, there is logic why my tent goes in that pannier, it is easy to remove and keep the bike balanced on the kickstand.

Also, you want your weight packed low. Tents are quite dense and a wet tent from nighttime dew is even heavier. So, the way I think, a tent being dense makes sense to put it in a pannier, not on top. That said, others on this forum that suggest putting it up on top of the rack, because it works for them. I will not say they are doing it wrong, it works for them and that is what is important to them.

I just used my tent as an example here. You need to find a logical way to organize things so that it makes sense to you. Just figure out what you prefer, what works for you based on whatever eccentricities you may have and go with it. And you will find over time that whatever system you developed gets adjusted on every trip in some way.

Back to your original question of what goes on top of rear rack, it really depends on how much volume you have left over after you pack up your 65 liters worth of panniers. Some trips I need another 30 or 40 liters of capacity, some trips I have nothing at all on top of the rear rack because my panniers and handlebar bag held it all.

Tent poles, if they are long, a tent pole bag can come in handy to help lash them somewhere. I custom cut tent poles quite short for my tent so that they fit in my front pannier with the tent. But I used a tent pole bag before I cut different poles.

You will figure it out.

One side note, this only works with Ortlieb front panniers that have a strap over the top like yours - I put my rain gear under that strap. I want it where I can get to it fast. I do not need to open a pannier to get to it. And up front I can see it when I am on my bike so if it started to come loose, I would notice that. I have never seen anyone else do it this way, but they have their system figured out different than I do, which is ok too.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 08-14-22 at 08:10 AM.